What is Content Marketing?
Content marketing can be used by any organization to increase exposure and sales.
Blog posts, articles, videos, images, and books are all media. The content you are reading right now is media. It can be in long form or very short.
The goal of content is to make a statement that is compelling and appealing to your target audience.
You should include a call to action in your content when you use it for marketing purposes. Focus on providing value when using content marketing.
You may be wondering why you should use content marketing now that you understand what it is. You could be doing other things for your business instead of creating content.
This is not a magic pill that will make you rich overnight. While it is a very valuable process, you can use it multiple times to build your business.
It is important to create a strategy, organize a plan, and determine how to measure a content marketing campaign as with any marketing endeavour.
There is no doubt that this takes time, but it is time well spent. The value of content creation can be seen in the following statistics.
- According to Nielsen, 58% of consumers trust editorial content.
- 80% of business decision-makers prefer to get company information in a series of articles versus an advertisement
- 61% of consumers say they feel better about a company that delivers custom content and they are also more likely to buy from that company.
- B2B companies with blogs generate 67% more leads per month on average than non-blogging firms.
- content marketing costs 62% less than traditional marketing and generates about 3 times as many leads.
A brand’s social media following is largely driven by interesting content. You are already using content in your company business even if you don’t intend to gain sales from it.
Your company’s communication pieces need to be viewed differently now. Everything you create has the potential to drive sales or build an audience.
Since you’re already creating content for your business, shouldn’t it increase your profits?
Here are some additional benefits to help get you off the fence:
- The cost of content marketing is low. content marketing is based on the information you already have. You just need to make it easy for potential customers to share and digest it.
- content marketing can help you build relationships with your audience. Communicating with your audience creates a dialogue that leads to relationships. When consumers have a relationship with a brand, they become loyal to it.
- Being a resource is possible with content marketing. You can demonstrate the value your company can provide by sharing valuable information and insights.
- You can compete effectively with content marketing if you’re not a multinational corporation with a huge marketing budget.
- Every industry can benefit from sharing valuable information and insight with consumers through content marketing.
- content marketing creates educated customers. sometimes you spend a lot of time answering the same questions. The popularity of FAQ pages on business websites is due to this reason.
- content marketing empowers consumers when people are knowledgeable and informed about something, they are empowered to make informed decisions. When your customers are empowered, they can be savvier and easier to work with.
- Viral campaigns can be triggered by content marketing. Content shouldn’t be created solely for the purpose of going viral, but if you create it, the odds of it going viral increase. A piece of content can be hard to make go viral largely due to the factors that contribute to that kind of exposure being difficult to quantify.
- content marketing allows you to control your message if you create the content being used to represent your business, you can control what that message is and what it says. By identifying your ideal audience, you can tailor your messages specifically for them. It is also possible to determine which piece of content is most effective.
- It’s always possible to reuse content you create when you create a valuable piece of content.
Types of Content Marketing
You may have difficulty figuring out the different types of content you can use if you’ve never considered content marketing before.
It’s important to understand how to truly get the most out of your content even if you’ve tried content marketing. Having a list of the different types of content is always helpful.
The following is a list of that content along with a description of which businesses would benefit most from it.
Businesses use blogs to communicate with customers and potential customers. content marketing gives your business a voice.
Moreover, users can share other types of content within the Blog. You can post text, images, videos, or a combination of all three.
In order to keep people interested in your Blog posts, you need to write them with a consistency that keeps them coming back. You don’t have to post every day, but you should post regularly.
You can use Blog posts to share the type of information that works best for your audience with a variety of businesses. For businesses that rely heavily on information or news, it’s ideal.
Your Blog will be filled with plenty of content if you have a lot to share and discuss.
Guest blog posts
If you don’t want to host your own Blog, you can contribute to other blogs. Find blogs that are aligned with your brand and have engaged and active followings by doing some research.
Learn the Blog voice and take some time to familiarize yourself with it in order to ensure that your posts are accepted and published. If you don’t fit in with the Blog you’re submitting your posts to, you won’t be shared.
Cartoons or comics
In the past, cartoons and comics were reserved for younger audiences, but they can also be useful for businesses that want to share information in a whimsical way.
The use of cartoons and comics can help explain topics that are difficult to understand or not particularly interesting but need to appeal to a wide audience.
Some tech products are being explained in this way for non-tech-savvy audiences.
It is possible to create a cartoon or comic in a few different ways.
Businesses that could benefit: If your organization is targeting children or parents of children, this type of content would work well.
It’s also great for creating videos about tech products, sanitation products, health products and any other kind of product that could benefit from the whimsical nature of animation.
EBooks are electronic books that can be shared online or through electronic readers. Depending on the length, they can be as short as 10 pages or as long as 150 pages.
An eBook is a long form of content that provides information. In some cases, the book includes a call to action, but it is also used as a tool to build an email list.
Businesses that could benefit: Businesses in internet marketing or other business-related industries might benefit from this type of content.
Ebooks also work well for health and fitness organizations and specialized niche industries.
When you have a target audience that appreciates information, you could benefit from publishing an eBook.
Information graphics are short for information graphics. A long series of complex statistics and information is presented graphically to make it easier to understand.
This is a great way to share information with a broad audience if you write a report or document that involves a lot of research.
Businesses that could benefit: Businesses that rely on statistics or use complicated information can benefit from infographics.
Any organization can use video, which is one of its greatest advantages. It’s important to plan and execute a video well if you’re going to use it.
Although you don’t have to spend tens of thousands of dollars, it’s important that you spend as much as possible. Make it short and punchy while asking them to act.
There is some wiggle room when it comes to video length, but not much. Ideally, your video should not last longer than 1-3 minutes.
If you are providing valuable information, it could take up to 5-7 minutes.
Businesses that could benefit: All types of businesses can benefit from video. Make sure the video is valuable and not too long.
You can break up longer videos into chunks and create a series if you’re creating one that runs for several minutes.
Having people come back to your website regularly to gain access to all the information you’re providing in this series is a great way to keep them interested.
You can often attract new customers by letting your current customers sing your praises. Testimonials can be very powerful tools for demonstrating the value of your product or service.
It is important to include specifics about your business in testimonials that sound and feel authentic.
When you are working to stand out from the competition, showing why your business is better than others is a great way to do that.
Businesses that could benefit: Businesses that offer specific products or services could benefit from this type of content.
Your testimonials should reference specific benefits gained from your products or services. Your goal is to have them sell your business, not just tell people how cool you are.
It differs from other video content in that it usually focuses on a specific event or occasion. A camera is usually set up to record while other things happen around it, but some planning is required.
While you should make sure whatever you’re live streaming will provide value to your audience, it’s usually expected that this will be a long-form video.
It is important to make sure your video is of good quality, as well as your internet connection, so the stream won’t break during the show.
Streaming and capturing this type of video is the best way to make the most of it.
Businesses that could benefit: Your organization could benefit from live streaming workshops, seminars, panel discussions, or other educational presentations.
The purpose of this is to encourage people who couldn’t attend a part of a conference to attend the next time it’s held.
In addition, it assists in securing speakers and presenters. Your speakers may be more willing to participate in your event for free or at a reduced price if they know their talk will be featured online.
It is possible to create a podcast if you do not have the budget for a video or if you are uncomfortable being on camera.
This is an audio-only form of content that can be used to educate, inform, or entertain your audience.
It can be a one-time event or an ongoing podcast series. The length of podcasts is much more liberal than that of videos.
Podcasts are often treated like long-running radio shows. Podcasts should be between 30 and 90 minutes long, but not longer than that.
If your discussion is compelling, people will gladly listen to a 90-minute podcast. Podcasting is a bit easier than creating videos, but it still requires planning and a good recording system.
Businesses that could benefit: Businesses with a specialized focus would benefit most from podcasts.
If you want your audience to stay tuned in for 30 minutes or more, they have to be genuinely interested in the topic you’re discussing.
A podcast can also be beneficial to companies based on entertainment and pop culture.
Unlike testimonials, these are written in a more formal context and format. This is a great way to show how your company tackled a problem from start to finish.
By doing so, you will be able to demonstrate the layers that come with operating a business and working successfully with clients.
Case studies should not exceed two pages and a half in length. For your clients, you should focus on the who, what, why, when, and how of the situation.
If you are looking to gain new clients, you want to let them know what to expect from you.
Businesses that could benefit: Businesses that focus on service can benefit from case studies.
By presenting your methodologies and work process, you can market your business more effectively.
Having no idea whether a new business is worth the investment is one of the hesitations customers may have when trying it out.
Using a practical example, you can demonstrate your worth with case studies.
User Generated Content
You invite your customers to create and share content on your behalf. Engaging your customers in this way turns them into marketing representatives for your company.
They can create demos, reviews, or posts about how much they love your product. Managing this type of content properly may require additional management.
It is not a good idea to regulate user-generated content too much because that will discourage people from creating it.
Consider your audience before actively encouraging this type of content. You should make sure the content they make will represent your brand well.
Businesses that could benefit: Businesses that deal heavily with customer service or products. Users can create guides or product demonstrations if you have a tech product, for instance.
You might also benefit from this type of content if you sell sporting goods. Allowing users to create videos showing cool ways they use your product can help boost sales.
After learning about the different types of content you can create, you should make sure that your content has a clear purpose.
Curating vs. Creating Content
It is common for business owners to become overly stressed out when creating marketing content.
Content doesn’t need to be created every time you use it. You can still provide value to your audience by wading through the information available and sharing the most useful nuggets of knowledge.
Curating content involves taking pieces of media created by others and sharing them with your audience. The benefits of this can be great when done properly.
Giving credit to the original creator of the content you share is the most important thing.
- By sharing well-curated content, you can provide valuable information to your audience. Your expertise allows you to determine which information will be most effective. The most important information is also identified.
- Saving money on creation costs is one of the benefits. The curated content has already been created. All you have to do is find the information available and pull out what you want to use. Creating content without a budget is possible.
- You can save time Creating content takes a lot of time. By using curated content, you save time and can use that time for other things.
You should not rely on curating content too heavily or not spend enough time finding content that will support your branding efforts.
The curation of content offers a lot of value, but make sure you don’t rely on it too much. Content curation specialists will tout its benefits without mentioning its challenges.
Consider all sides of content curation before diving in.
- It is important to verify the information you share. You cannot assume that the content you share is accurate. Shared content reflects your brand once you curate it. The responsibility for sharing the information still lies with you, even if you give proper credit to the original creator of the content (which you should always do). You will be held responsible if one of your customers complains or finds fault with your content. You should be aware of this and ensure that the information you share is accurate.
- Curating content well takes time. It may not take as much time to curate content as it does to create it, but it cannot be done haphazardly. The purpose of this content is to benefit your brand, which must be kept in mind at all times. Taking the time to research the content you’re going to share is key. It should be safe for you to share it even if you didn’t create it yourself.
Sharing content may involve creating it yourself. There are some considerations to make before moving forward with this approach.
Creating your own content means you have creative control over how it looks and how it conveys information. The finished product reflects your brand properly and is exactly what you want.
- Since you are the source, the content will reflect your knowledge and insight the best. You know when you create your own content that it reflects your knowledge and experience. When asked about it, you will be able to answer confidently. Any questions about it can also be comfortably answered by you.
- All content you create is wholly owned by you and your company. It can be repurposed in any way you choose. You don’t have to ask permission or give credit to anyone. Your content can go viral and you can reap all of its benefits if it does.
- You can specifically tailor your content to your audience 33 When you curate content, you don’t have the ability to tailor it to your specific audience. You have to represent it as is. When you create your own content, you have the flexibility to make it speak most effectively to your target demographic. This is important because you may have multiple audiences and need to alter your message accordingly.
Many businesses create their own content because it has some great benefits. Before creating your own content, you must also consider some cons.
- It can take a lot of time to create content. You should put the time into creating and sharing content as a reflection of your business. Consequently, you may have to spend a lot of time making sure your content looks the way you want and communicates your message effectively.
- It can be expensive to create content. In order to create quality content, you may need to make a financial investment. Creating quality content is important since it reflects your brand. Quality sometimes comes at a price.
- You may feel pressured to create content consistently once you’ve created something. There are some types of content that lend themselves well to being one-off creations that can be used repeatedly. After you’ve successfully created other forms of content, you’ll want to create more of it. The result can be an added layer of expectations on top of the others you have to meet.
Use Content to Get Leads
You may be wondering how content marketing can directly impact your bottom line. It can be used in a variety of ways, but this chapter will focus specifically on how to use it to generate leads.
In fact, any of these forms of content can be used to generate warm leads.
You have a clear goal from the beginning, and you are creating a strategy to achieve it.
Here’s how you do it.
- Calculate how many leads you hope to get from your content marketing campaign and how long it will last. Beginning with the end in mind is crucial. You should know what you’re working toward and how long it will take. Business owners can develop great ideas and launch campaigns to improve their business, but if there is no clear endgame, the idea may falter and the campaign may continue forever.
- Build your email list by deciding how you will collect emails. There are email marketing tools available that will help you do this. In order to start a campaign or create content, you must know where the information will go. Don’t try to facilitate this process yourself. Keeping track of emails can become a tedious and overwhelming task.
- Check out how it handles file distribution via email as well. If you cannot find this information on the website, contact customer service. You will need this later in this process, so be sure to check it out now.
- Give away a free piece of content. Although it’s understandable that you want to profit from any content you create, charging for it isn’t always a good idea.
Content Marketing and Social Media
You can use social media to find leads after you have created a piece of content you want to use for marketing and have set up an email list.
All business owners should be aware of four social networking websites. Despite the fact that you shouldn’t try to keep a profile on all of them, you should be aware that they exist.
Here is a short list of the most popular social media platform
Small business owners, entrepreneurs, and Internet marketing professionals should use content marketing.
If you don’t have a marketing budget, you have to find a way to reach your audience without spending a fortune.
By using content marketing, you can gain subscribers, increase sales, and engage an audience.
Now that you have the rules, you can start building your business.